Helping kids build better lives
Family Connection-Communities In Schools of Athens’ Site Coordinators connect Clarke County students and their families to critical community resources and services tailored to meet their needs.
Different kids have different needs. Some need academic help; some need a stable home and food on the table, or someone who will listen and help guide the way. Others just need a pair of eyeglasses.
Helping kids move beyond their circumstances requires an individualized approach, not one-size-fits-all. We treat young people as individuals and coordinate support around their specific needs.
Coordinated, individualized approach; it’s what makes us effective.
Programs in Clarke County School District include:
- Non-academic assistance: Connecting young people with a host of services — healthcare, housing, nutrition, school supplies — resulting in students more prepared to learn.
- One-to-one mentoring: Instilling the confidence to succeed, the belief that education creates opportunity, and setting the expectation for success.
- Tutoring and academic support: Increasing academic performance and building confidence.
- Family assistance & parent engagement: Ensuring children have a supportive home life, and that parents have access to the services they need.
- Out-of-school enrichment, college and career preparation & service learning: Strengthening the resiliency of children to succeed by expanding their understanding of what the world has to offer.
Your help as a volunteer in Athens-Clarke County, working with Communities In Schools Site Coordinators, is vital as we deliver needed programs and assistance to keep students in school and prevent dropping out. Visit the national Communities In Schools web site for a recent article describing why your help is needed: Dropping Out- Still Relevant After All These Years .